Alcohol and the Dukan diet

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Alcohol and the Dukan diet

Post  Kgen86 on Sun Jun 06, 2010 2:32 pm

Im new to Dukan attempting to lose 10kg. I am finding it really difficult to avoid the social situations that involve drinking becuase they are a big part of my work and to be frank I quite enjoy a few wines with the girls. I have dramatically cut back, however there are those few occasions where a night out prevails my biggest dieting efforts.
My problem is I cannot seem to find much information about what to do if you do "have a big one" - can any suggest or recommend the best counter attack based on experience or something you have read. I heard no matter where you are in the diet going straight back to Portein only to cut the water but im not sure about the effectiveness of this?
Little help anyone?
Thanks in advance. cheers

Kgen86
Newly Expressive
Newly Expressive

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Not sure if this will help but....

Post  Francesca on Mon Jun 07, 2010 9:29 am

Hi,

I know when I did another low carb diet the advice was that if you were going to drink go for drinks with a 0 carb count such as vodka, bacardi and basically any other clear spirit mixed with a diet mixer or soda water. So if you could handle switching from wine to say a gin and tonic for the duration of the diet you may find this limits the impact on the diet to some extent as the body reacts differently to the calories from alcohol. However be aware that alcohol has more calories than carbs, protein and fat so isn't exactly going to help.

Hope this is of some help.

Smile

Fran

Francesca
Newly Expressive
Newly Expressive

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Know what you mean

Post  maisie on Mon Jun 07, 2010 10:46 am

Social events can be the blight of many a diet. I agree with the above, this is where harm reduction has to kick in if you're determined to keep going. Try alternating alcoholic drinks with a diet drink such as coke. Have had a few social occasions myself since starting this and if I really wanted a drink I had a gin and slim with a slice of lemon. I also upped my exercise the next day and extended my usual half hour walk to an hour, this also helped to clear my head. Good luck with it and have a good time when you go out (and not too much of a hangover!). Very Happy

maisie
Newly Expressive
Newly Expressive

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Alcohol and the Dukan diet

Post  Kgen86 on Mon Jun 07, 2010 12:40 pm

Thank you both of you!
I will give the whit spirits a try and will report back on any difference. Also upping the exercise for the next day! Thats a good deterrent to not over doing it knowing I have to get up and get physical the next day.
Thanks again.

Kgen86
Newly Expressive
Newly Expressive

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  slimkore on Mon Jun 07, 2010 10:51 pm

I enjoy my drinks, too, but have cut back dramatically while on this diet. I've also had to change things up for fewer calories. Here's a site that may help with ideas: Skinnytinis

Bottoms-up!! Laughing

slimkore
Newly Expressive
Newly Expressive

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  mummymouse on Sun Jul 25, 2010 6:16 pm

Hi girls

I am a newbie to this site.
I have been on Dukan for almost 6 weeks now. I have lost about 32lb ( poss more, not weighed for three days)

But last weekend i went out and had 4xG&T's on Fri night, had 3x G&T's Sat night. But was very very careful with food. I lost 2lb Monday and 2lb Wed ( due to weigh tom'row)

I have never been a big drinker, but when i do get the fancy a drink i can sink an easy 9 G&T's, but then not drink for 6 months. Anyway on this diet i find i am almost legless after 4, so i drink one and hten follow that with water.
tips to make others think you are drinking, is to have a sparkling mineral/tonic water, with ice and lemon, and say its a vod and tonic/or a G&T.
As someone stated if you go for drinks that are grain based/clear spirits, they are lower on cals, or have a wine spritzer to reduce alcohol intake.

Hope to speak to you all soon

MMxxx Very Happy

mummymouse
Newly Expressive
Newly Expressive

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Bye bye alcohol

Post  bluebird on Mon Jul 26, 2010 12:07 pm

Alcohol and I are parting company from today!

I have given up chocolate and ice-cream and am now going to stop drinking as it encourages to eat more, and I have realised how it affects the way I look the next day!

Watch this space!

xx

bluebird
Newly Expressive
Newly Expressive

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Linda on Mon Jul 26, 2010 7:23 pm

Bluebird, let me encourage you to stick to that. I don't drink alcohol at all and have been glad of that after reading the struggles people have to avoid it on the diet. I also find a lot of people whose lives literally revolve around alcohol, find it very difficult to relate to me. That might be the biggest thing, if you're a social person... other people thinking you're judging them or something because you decide not to drink. It's crazy and I don't know if that's how people really think. I do know many seem to feel it important that friends drink together. Don't let those things force you to drink if it's helping your diet not to. Hopefully real friends will understand and encourage you.

Linda
Newly Expressive
Newly Expressive

View user profile http://www.chinese-swords-guide.com

Back to top Go down

Post  mummymouse on Mon Jul 26, 2010 10:07 pm

I agree bluebird

Its just easier to avoid alcohol. I look at my past email and i sound a right boozy babe. But prior to last week, i had not bothered to have a drink since christmas. I just find that i get a hangover no matter how much i drink. So one drink and i have a hangover as i would having 15 drinks. So last summer i just stopped drinking as much. Now if i do fancy a drink, it is usually a party/celebration and i drink a glass in between or stick to soft drinks or even cups of tea . People actually laugh at me. So i usually ask them" why would you have a problem with me not drinking alcohol" at the end of the day i answer only to my family and myself. I have no worries as to what others think.

So hat off to you BB for making the choice, because we don't really need to drink to be social.

MMxxx Very Happy

mummymouse
Newly Expressive
Newly Expressive

View user profile

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum